Certified transcripts (copies) of death certificates are only available from the agency that issued the original death certificate.
The following people are eligible to get a copy of a death certificate (from the New York State Office of Vital Records ):
- The spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased
- Other people who have a:
- documented lawful right or claim
- documented medical need
- New York State Court Order
If you are not the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased you must document a lawful right or claim. For example, you may need a death certificate to claim a benefit. You would need an official letter from the agency saying you need the death record to process the claim.
If you are eligible, you will need the following four items to get a certified transcript (copy) of a death certificate:
1. A completed Vital Records Request Form
- Available at Town Hall OR
- Click HERE to fill out online and print (the form cannot be submitted online) OR
- Call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502 if you would like a form mailed or emailed to you
2. Driver's License
- Please include a photocopy of your Driver's License if you are submitting your request by drop-off, mail, or email
3. Payment of $10.00 per transcript
- If by check, please make payable to Town of Ballston
- If submitting by drop-off, mail, or email, payment must be received before the transcript request can be processed
4. Documentation as required
- Proof of relationship to the deceased may be required, especially if surnames do not match
- Documentation of lawful right or claim, medical need, etc. for those who are not the spouse, parent, child or sibling of the deceased
Options for submittal:
- Town Hall, located at 323 Charlton Road, Ballston Spa, NY 12020 - come to the Town Clerk's window Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Drop the completed form, a photocopy of your Driver's License, payment, and documentation if required in the gray, locked mailbox at the rear of Town Hall that is labeled "Town Payment."
- Mail the completed form, a photocopy of your Driver's License, payment, and documentation if required to: Town of Ballston, P.O. Box 67, Burnt Hills, NY 12027.
- Scan and email the completed form, a photocopy of your Driver's License, and documentation if required to: firstname.lastname@example.org. (You will need to make arrangements for payment before the transcript request can be processed.)
Please call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502 with any questions.