The Freedom of Information Law, commonly known as "FOIL" (Public Officers Law, Article 6, Sections 84-90), is New York State's principal statute regarding public access to government records. For more information about FOIL, please visit the New York State Committee on Open Government.
Town of Ballston FOIL request information:
- All FOIL requests must be filed with the Town Clerk's Office
- If not filed in person, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 5 days of receiving it
- We will fulfill your request within 20 days, and will contact you once the information is available
- You may come to Town Hall to view the information, have copies emailed to you (size permitting), and/or receive photocopies (size permitting; fees apply, see below)
- Please note that we do not have online public access to building department records, including building permits; you will need to file a FOIL request
To file a FOIL request you will need the following two items:
1. A completed Freedom of Information Law Request Form (be as specific as possible about the information you are requesting)
- Available at Town Hall OR
- The Freedom of Information Law Request Form (PDF) may be completed online and printed (the form cannot be submitted online) OR
- Call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502 if you would like a form mailed or emailed to you
2. Your Driver's License
- If submitting by drop-off, mail, or email, please include a photocopy of your Driver's License
Options for submittal:
- Town Hall, located at 323 Charlton Road, Ballston Spa, NY 12020 - come to the Town Clerk's window Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4 pm
- Drop the completed form with a photocopy of your Driver's License in the gray, locked mailbox at the rear of Town Hall that is labeled "Town Payment."
- Mail the completed form with a photocopy of your Driver's License to: Town of Ballston, P.O. Box 67, Burnt Hills, NY 12027.
Viewing the information at Town Hall is free.
Having copies of the information emailed to you is free.
Photocopy fees (per page):
- 8.5" x 11" = $.25
- 22" x 34" = $2.50
- 2' X 3' = $3.00
- 3' x 4' = $6.00
- Please note fees are subject to change at any time
Please call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext.2502 with any questions.