How do we get a marriage license?

Marriage licenses may only be issued in person at Town Hall, 323 Charlton Road, Ballston Spa, NY 12020.

Appointments are preferred, available Monday - Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.

  • Please call 518-490-2800 ext. 2502

Both parties must be present and must bring the following to the appointment:

1. Proof of age (one of the following) - must be a minimum of 18 years old:

  • An original or certified copy of your birth certificate (must have the seal of the issuing agency, photocopies are not acceptable)  
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Naturalization Papers

2. Identification (one of the following):

  • Driver's License
  • Passport

3. If previously married please bring all that apply to you:

  • Copies of all divorce decrees (photocopies are acceptable)
  • Copies of annulment documents (photocopies are acceptable)
  • Spouse death certificate (no photocopies)

4. Payment of $40.00

  • Payable by cash, check, or credit/debit card
  • An additional service fee of $1.50 will apply to credit/debit card transactions
  • Active military service members pay a reduced fee

Please Note:

  • Social security cards are not required but you will each need to know your social security number.
  • The application process takes about 20 minutes.
  • There is a New York State required waiting period of 24 hours after the exact time the license is issued before you may be married.
  • The license is valid for 60 calendar days from the date of issue.
  • Marriage licenses issued by the Town of Ballston are valid anywhere within New York State.

Visit the Information on Getting Married in New York State page on the NY State Department of Health website for much more information on marriage licenses, requirements, name change options, etc.

Please call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502 with any questions.

Show All Answers

1. Why do I have to license my dog?
2. How do I license my dog?
3. How do I renew my dog's license?
4. How do I register or renew my registration for Jenkins Dog Park?
5. My dog was licensed at the Saratoga County Animal Shelter at the time of adoption, why do I need to register with the Town?
6. How do I get a Temporary or Permanent Parking Permit for Disabled Persons?
7. How do I renew a Temporary or Permanent Parking Permit for Disabled Persons?
8. How do we get a marriage license?
9. How do I get one-day marriage officiant license?
10. How do I apply for a business license/permit?
11. How do I get a Certificate of Residency?
12. How do I file a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request?
13. How do I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?
14. How do I get a certified copy of my birth certificate?
15. How do I get a certified copy of a death certificate?
16. How do I get copies of genealogical birth, death, or marriage records?
17. How do I rent the Community Room?
18. How do I rent the Ballston Lake Fire Department Memorial Park (Fireman's Grove)?
19. How do I rent the Jenkins Park pavilion?