How do I get a Certificate of Residency?

A Certificate of Residency is required by many community colleges for college students or for high school students taking college classes. It proves New York State residency so you can pay the in-state resident tuition rate.

The Town of Ballston can issue Certificates of Residency for Town residents under certain circumstances:

To get a Certificate of Residency at the Town Clerk's office the following conditions must apply:

  1. You are a US citizen
  2. You are a Town resident
  3. You have not moved within the past year (including within the Town of Ballston or Saratoga County)
  4. College classes have not started yet for the semester you are applying for

***If any of these conditions do not apply, the Town Clerk's Office cannot issue a certificate; you must apply through the Saratoga County Treasurer's Office:

40 McMaster Street
Bldg. 1
Ballston Spa, NY 12020 

Visit the Saratoga County Certificate of Residency information page

If the above conditions apply, you will need the following items to apply for a Certificate of Residency:

1. A Certificate of Residency application 

  • most high schools have the application 
  • applications available at the Town Clerk's Office
  • The Certificate of Residence Application (PDF) can be completed online and printed (the form cannot be submitted online)

2. Two proofs of address

  • Examples of acceptable proofs are listed on the back of the application, or click HERE 
  • Proofs must include the student's name, physical address, and be dated accordingly (please note that P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable) 
  • One proof must be dated within the last 30 days
  • One proof must be 12-18 months old (must be dated at least one year ago from today)
  • One proof may be in a parent's name if the student is under 21 years old and you both live at the same address
  • If you had a Certificate of Residency in the past year, you should be on the Saratoga County certificate renewal list and will only need the 30-day proof, but it must be in the student's name

Options for submittal:

In person only:

  • Town Hall, located at 323 Charlton Road, Ballston Spa, NY 12020 - come to the Town Clerk's window Monday - Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. 

Please call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502 with any questions. 

Show All Answers

1. Why do I have to license my dog?
2. How do I license my dog?
3. How do I renew my dog's license?
4. How do I register or renew my registration for Jenkins Dog Park?
5. My dog was licensed at the Saratoga County Animal Shelter at the time of adoption, why do I need to register with the Town?
6. How do I get a Temporary or Permanent Parking Permit for Disabled Persons?
7. How do I renew a Temporary or Permanent Parking Permit for Disabled Persons?
8. How do we get a marriage license?
9. How do I get one-day marriage officiant license?
10. How do I apply for a business license/permit?
11. How do I get a Certificate of Residency?
12. How do I file a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request?
13. How do I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?
14. How do I get a certified copy of my birth certificate?
15. How do I get a certified copy of a death certificate?
16. How do I get copies of genealogical birth, death, or marriage records?
17. How do I rent the Community Room?
18. How do I rent the Ballston Lake Fire Department Memorial Park (Fireman's Grove)?
19. How do I rent the Jenkins Park pavilion?