How do I get Building Department records for a property?

To view available Building Department records, such as building permits, architectural drawings, septic plans, etc., for a property, whether owned by you, a property you wish to purchase, etc., you must submit a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request with the Town Clerk's Office.

Please note that the Town of Ballston Building Department does not have any of these records available online; they are only available by FOIL request.

The Freedom of Information Law, commonly know as "FOIL" (Public Officers Law, Article 6, Sections 84-90), is New York State's principal statute regarding public access to government records. For more information about FOIL, please visit the New York State Committee on Open Government.

Please see the following for how to file a FOIL request:

Town of Ballston FOIL request information:

  • All FOIL requests must be filed with the Town Clerk's Office
  • If not filed in person, we will acknowledge receipt of your request within 5 days of receiving it
  • We will fulfill your request within 20 days, and will contact you once the information is available
  • You may view the records at Town Hall, have copies emailed to you (size permitting), and/or receive photocopies (size permitting; fees apply, see below)

To file a FOIL request you will need the following two items:

1. A completed Freedom of Information Law Request Form (be as specific as possible about the information you are requesting)

2. Your Driver's License

  • If submitting by drop-off, mail, or email, please include a photocopy of your driver's license

Options for submittal:

In person:

  • Town Hall, 323 Charlton Road, Ballston Spa, NY 12020 - come to the Town Clerk's window, Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

By drop-off:

  • Drop the completed form with a photocopy of your driver's license in the gray, locked mailbox at the rear of Town Hall that is labeled "Town Payment."

By mail:   

  • Mail the completed form with a photocopy of your driver's license to: Town of Ballston, P.O. Box 67, Burnt Hills, NY 12027.

By email:     

Fee Schedule:

Viewing the records at Town Hall is free.

Having copies of records emailed to you is free.

Photocopy fees (per page):

  • 8.5" x 11" = $.25
  • 22" x 34" = $2.50
  • 2' x 3' = $3.00
  • 3' x 4' = $6.00
  • Please note that fees are subject to change at any time

Please call the Town Clerk's Office at 518-490-2800 ext. 2502 with any questions.

Show All Answers

1. What kinds of home improvements require a building permit?
2. Do I need a permit for a fence?
3. Do I need a permit for a shed?
4. Do I need a permit for a roof replacement?
5. How do I apply for a building permit?
6. How do I schedule an inspection?
7. Does the Building Department do electrical inspections?
8. Where can I find my setback requirements?
9. How do I get Building Department records for a property?