*** Please see the FAQ section at the bottom of this page for help with many common questions.***
Offices and Payment Information
Please make checks payable to: Tax Collector Town of Ballston
- For the month of January 2024 checks/money orders may be mailed via the U.S. Postal Service, placed in the large gray locked mailbox outside the back entrance of Town Hall, placed in the black wall mailbox next to the tax collector window inside Town Hall, or paid in person at the Tax Collector's window at Town Hall during the following hours:
- Monday through Thursday: 9 am to 12 pm
- For the months of February and March 2024 checks/money orders may be mailed via the U.S. Postal Service, placed in the large gray locked mailbox at the back entrance of Town Hall, placed in the black wall mailbox next to the tax collector window inside Town Hall, or paid in person during the following hours:
- Monday & Wednesday: 9 am to 11 am
- After April 1, 2024 bills must be mailed or dropped off at the Saratoga County Treasurer's Office, 40 McMaster Street, Ballston Spa, NY 12020.
New York State Tax Law Information
Property Tax Law
- New York State Law provides that the Tax Receiver cannot waive penalties on real estate taxes after the due date for any reason. (Real Property Tax Law §920.)
- A property owner is not relieved of the responsibility for payment of taxes or interest prescribed by law despite the failure to receive a notice of such taxes due. (Real Property Tax Law §922.)
To Avoid Penalties
- If you mail your payment at the end of the month the tax is due, be sure there is a timely official United States postmark on the envelope. Postage meter (i.e. Pitney Bowes) and foreign postmarks are not acceptable. When an envelope containing payment of local taxes contains no United States postmark date, payment of such taxes is deemed to have been made on the date the payment is received. (Real Property Tax Law §922.)
- NOTE: Payments made by "Bank Pay" online services do not have a United States postmark. Banks use Permit Imprints or Metered Mail. If using this method to pay your taxes, plan accordingly and check receipt of payment with the Tax Office (by calling or emailing) prior to tax payment due date.
Process for Handling Delinquent Taxes
- Properties with taxes remaining unpaid after twenty-one (21) months will go into REM foreclosure.
- A taxpayer paying delinquent taxes must pay the most current tax first.
- March 1st - Exemption filing Deadline
- March 1st - Taxable Status Date
- May 1st - Tentative Roll Filed
- Grievance Day -Thursday following the 4th Tuesday in May
- July 1st - Final Roll Filed
- July 1st - Valuation Date
School Taxes are mailed out by and collected by the schools. Please contact the school directly with questions.
- BHBL District Tax Office:
- Ballston Spa Tax Collector:
- Shenendehowa Tax Collector:
- Shenendehowa Property Taxes website
The Saratoga County Board of Supervisors is providing this information to all property taxpayers in Saratoga County to inform them about how State and Federal mandates affect their annual property tax bills.
- When are property tax bills mailed to property owners?
Property tax bills are mailed on December 31st.
Contact the Tax Collector if you haven't received your bill by the end of the first week of January.
Email Karen Russell
See the "Where can I find my property tax bill or receipt?" FAQ question for information on how to find your bill online, or visit the Tax Collector page.
School tax bills are mailed by and collected by the school district you live in. See the "Where can I find my school tax bill or receipt?" FAQ question for more information, or visit the Tax Collector page.
- Where can I find my property tax bill or receipt?
For Town of Ballston property taxes (billed in January), visit the Tax Bills Online website for online tax receipts and bills. Choose the year, enter your information, and view or print your tax bill.
Visit the Tax Collector page for more information about taxes and tax collection, including how to submit payment, hours for in-person payment, and important dates.
School taxes (billed in September) are mailed out by and collected by the school district you live in. Please see the "Where can I find my school tax bill or receipt?" FAQ question or the Tax Collector page for more information.
Contact information for the Town of Ballston Tax Collector:
Email Karen Russell
- Where can I find my school tax bill or receipt?
School Taxes (billed in September) are mailed out by and collected by the school district you live in. The Town of Ballston Tax Collector does not have information about school taxes; please contact the school district directly:
Burnt Hills - Ballston Lake CSD Tax Office:
- 518-399-9141 ext. 85027 (9 am to 3 pm)
- Email BHBL Tax Office
- Visit the BHBL Tax Bill information page - this page also has links to additional information
Ballston Spa CSD Tax Collector:
- 518-884-7195 ext. 1360
- Email BSCSD Tax Collector
- Visit the Ballston Spa Tax Payment information page -this page also has links to additional information
Shenendehowa CSD Tax Collector:
- Visit the Shenendehowa Property Taxes page - this page also has links to additional information
- Where do I find information about the STAR Program?
For information on the STAR Program, visit the Town Assessor page or call the Assessor's office at 518-490-2720.